Shukumei
Home Calendar Search Register Login

Welcome, Guest.Please login or register.

Forum Login
Username: Register
Password:     Forgot Password

Shukumei    The City of Kind    The Limelight District  ›  The Message
0 Members Browsing (1 Guests)
Currently No Active Members

Pages: 1, 2 » : All Reply Recommend Print
  Author    The Message
Eseen Hawkins
Posted on: September 19th, 2006, 02:21:38 Quote Report to Moderator
Favourite

Eseen sidled up to the front door, her right hand resting lightly on her Desert Eagle. She had grown up in these types of suburbs and knew how unpredicatable the situation could turn out to be from a peaceful empty street to a gang war before you could blink. It was even worse at this time of night as well. But she knew they had to be here without delay.

So far their trip had gone rather smoothly, having dealt with a friendly stowaway and managing to let the Kurzik's deal with him when they were boarded. They were going to be stuck here for at least a week or so until Kalia returned after making a shipment and minor internal repairs. It didn't change Eseen's feeling of paranoia after discovering wanted posters of Dhana up on the space port.

She knew as long as she was protecting Dhana, she too would be a fugitive. Even though the price on her head was probably a lot larger than she would receive in return for the protection, but she wasn't a bounty hunter. As a Fixer, the job came with certain loyalties and on top of that, from what she had seen of Dhana's personality, there was no reason for the bounty to be there. Unless some high flying crooks had discovered about her abilities.

Her left hand rose to the door about to knock before it slid open. It revealed a frail man standing there, looking up at Eseen. A weak smile formed on his lips and a look of bewilderment on Eseen's face. The look was quickly washed away as she put on her apathetic face to do business.

"She's here to speak to you." She stated simply, not wanting to reveal Dhana's name to anyone listening in. This suburb was crawling with all sorts. For all she knew, there could be ten different bounty hunters in the room next door.
Private Message
Old Man
Posted on: September 19th, 2006, 02:43:58 Quote Report to Moderator
Guest User
"Ah, you must be the Fixer, come in, come in." The old man ushered Eseen in before turning around to face Dhana. He stopped for a moment, his smile growing slightly stronger and his eyes glistening with a look of admiration. His stature suddenly improved as he stood up straight, finding strength from out of nowhere when his gaze rest apon her. "It's been such a long time..."

The man stood slightly taller than Dhana, but still holding the look of awe which made him seem somewhat shorter than he was. By now, she would see that this was not just any old man, but in fact, her father. He reached forward and gave his daughter a quick hug before breaking off to turn around, motioning for her to follow.

"Come, there is no time to waste." He lead them down the hallway, turning into a room and kneeling down to open up a hidden door in the middle of the room under the carpet. It lead to a long dark hallway of which light at the end of it could just be seen emenating from a room somewhere down there.

"I must ask you to stay here. I apologize for not being forthcoming with information, but it is private. You understand." He nodded to Eseen before leading his daughter down into the tunnel, closing it behind them.

Once he reached the room at the end, he turned back around to Dhana, his face somewhat more grim than before. Fatigue showed clearly on his face that the act of having energy and moving such a short distance had drained him considerably. Stepping to the side, he sat down on a nearby chair and sighed as he began to relax.
e-mail Reply: 1 - 35
Dhana NeNiero
Posted on: September 19th, 2006, 23:29:10 Quote Report to Moderator
Guest User
She smiled at her father, returning the hug.

"It's been too long"

She admitted, feeling pangs of sadness as she realised how long it had really been before following him into the house, a million questions racing through her head.

When she saw her father look tired, she once again realised how much time had passed.

"Will you tell me how you really are, or should I guess?"

She asked, his welfare taking priority over her own curiosity.
e-mail Reply: 2 - 35
Dacian Ne Niero
Posted on: September 20th, 2006, 00:51:32 Quote Report to Moderator
Guest User
"I'm dying Dhana." He spoke bluntly. His hands clenched together as he sighed. "It's a side effect from spending time on your home planet. A fate your entire race will share eventually if their prophecy isn't forfilled."

He looked up at her before slowly getting to his feet again, moving over to a nearby table and sat down next to where a pot of tea was set up. He then motioned for Dhana to sit down before pouring a cup, pushing it over to her. He then raised his hand to stop Dhana attempting to try and heal him.

"Don't try, you'll only waste your energy. I'm not ill, but I only have hours, if that to live." A weak smile escaped his face. "This is why I called you here on such short notice. I needed to tell you some vital information as well as asking you a favour."
e-mail Reply: 3 - 35
Dhana NeNiero
Posted on: September 20th, 2006, 01:12:07 Quote Report to Moderator
Guest User
As she looked at her father, the shock of the revelation that he was dying was clearly seen.  She nodded grimly before raising her jewlleed hand, only to have him tell her not to bother.

"But.. I don't want you to die!"

She told him, not liking the fact that he had decided to refuse her help, yet, did not power up the device on her hand, accepting his choice.

"You know I'll do you any favour within my powers"

She assured him, looking distraught as she took the cup he offered and took a sip from it.
e-mail Reply: 4 - 35
Dacian Ne Niero
Posted on: September 20th, 2006, 02:14:58 Quote Report to Moderator
Guest User
Dacian took a sip of his tea and reached his hand out to cover Dhana's in assurance. His grip tightened slightly and he placed the cup down before falling into a coughing fit. After he recovered, he let go and tried to regain his composure.

"It's okay, I'm just glad I got to see my daughter once more before I die." He took a deep breath and put a second hand over Dhana's hand, his face turning serious before he spoke. "Listen Dhana, I took you away from your planet because of the sacrifice you'd have to make otherwise. The prophecy told was for you to give your life energy, what you channel through that device on your hand, for protection from this."

He reached back and took ahold of the cup of tea and bowed his head slightly, trying to catch his breath. The grip he held on his life was loosening, but he needed to hold on to finish telling his daughter what needed to be said. It was becoming a chore to even utter out a sentence at this point.

"Your race is situated at a point in the galaxy far enough away from a neutron star to be safe from its immediate effects but close enough to suffer a degenerative effect. Every few millenia, one is born with the capability to channel their life for protection against this rapid decay." He paused for a moment to catch his breath before speaking again.

"The protection lasts for long enough for the next child to be born, one who is impure of their blood. This time around, it was you. I couldn't let them sacrifice another life for their own ignorance to travel to a safer refuge." His words suddenly began growing more aggressive as he spoke. "Is tradition really worth the lives lost for something so trivial?"
e-mail Reply: 5 - 35
Dhana NeNiero
Posted on: September 20th, 2006, 04:21:31 Quote Report to Moderator
Guest User
She thought about what he had said for a while, chewing over the implications of the revelation that it was her own life that was mentioned in that prophecie. Not that she knew much of it, only that it existed.

"If I can save the population of an entire planet.... "

She mused.

".. should I not do exactly that? How can I live with myself, knowing I condemed my people to certain death?"

She wondered looking at her father. He had always been wise in these matters, but she wondered if he wasn't loosing his mind now.
e-mail Reply: 6 - 35
Dacian Ne Niero
Posted on: September 20th, 2006, 05:33:17 Quote Report to Moderator
Guest User
"That's just it. It isn't certain death. They choose to stay on the planet and would rather sacrifice a life just so they can remain on the planet." He fell into another coughing fit, regaining his composure some minutes later. "You must understand, this is not worth your life. Coming from the rest of the universe, they do not realise what great things you have potential for."

Dacien paused again to catch his breath. At this point he could already feel his last moments coming to be. It took a few more moments for him to regain his composure, but he knew at this point he'd have less than a few minutes at the most.

"This is why I got Ms. Hawkins to protect you. I need you to discover the grey blur in between good and evil. Something I could never teach you. I need to to find out for yourself why you cannot sacrifice yourself. And of course, the favour I ask of you is to protect her as well."
e-mail Reply: 7 - 35
Dhana NeNiero
Posted on: September 20th, 2006, 08:36:32 Quote Report to Moderator
Guest User
She finished the cup of tea in her hand before responding to her father. While the favour he had asked her for was no problem, her not helping her people was a rather large problem for her.

"How long have you been sick?"

She asked him, trying to ascertain how much time would pass before her people would suffer the same fate as he did. Her people It sounded strange to call them that, people she had never met, people who wanted her as a sacrifice and nothing more.

When he went into another coughing fit, she became concerned, and much against his original will, she put her jewelled hand on his shoulder, letting the warmth from it flow into him, to give him more time. There were things she needed to understand before he passed on and she knew he was out of time.

"I can protect Eseen only in the sense that I can heal her if she gets hurt, you know my stand on violence"

She told him, assuring him thus that she would look out for Eseen's welfare.

"Can my people be helped, Father?"

She asked, the weight of the prophecy, which she only vaguely remembered, now on her shoulders. If there was a way of not sacrificing life, whether hers or not, then it would be the less violent path to choose, and therefore, one she prefered.
e-mail Reply: 8 - 35
Dacian Ne Niero
Posted on: September 20th, 2006, 10:38:16 Quote Report to Moderator
Guest User
Dacian breathed a sigh of releif as the warmth washed over him. It did indeed merely prolong his eventual demise, but it gave him the time he needed to fully explain things. When she asked her question, he shook his head and spoke, trying to change the subject in an attempt to evade answering.

"Eseen needs protection beyond that." He took a few deep breaths before speaking again. "Her mother is a seraphim, while her father a nether creature. The impurity of being pure of both sides and what she works as are the only things keeping her human. You need to protect her from the pure evil."

His face suddenly went flush and he gripped each side of the table for support. It wasn't long before his grip weakened and he slid to the side onto the floor. He rolled over and layed on his back, trying to gain control over his breathing again. While Dhana had prevented any discomfort, it didn't change the fact that his body was failing.

"I don't know if there is another way to save them. All I know is you must keep the Fixer safe. I could see in her eyes that her loyalties go beyond her job. She will protect you from harm for her own reasons, but she wont admit them, not even to herself." He paused again, the sound of heavy breathing engulfing the room for a while before he continued. "She must not know of this. It must be discovered on her own."
e-mail Reply: 9 - 35
Dhana NeNiero
Posted on: September 20th, 2006, 21:41:55 Quote Report to Moderator
Guest User
It hurt her to see her father so unstable, so close to death. What was worse is that she knew she could do little to help him, at best, she could take away any pain to let him die peacefully.

She understood the underlying need to protect Eseen from herself as her father explained the situation, even without really having much knowledge of things like that.

"So what you want me to do is condemn an entire race to certain death just to look after Eseen?"

She asked, unsure if she could do that, if she could live with herself if she did that, at the same time as knowing that no matter what happened, she'd keep Eseen safe.
e-mail Reply: 10 - 35
Dhana NeNiero
Posted on: September 21st, 2006, 09:50:01 Quote Report to Moderator
Guest User
"Is her life really that important?"

She knew from past experiences that self-sacrifice came natural to her, usually in form of over-using her gift, even now, the simple task of keeping her father alife was starting to drain her, not that she let on that it was, having mastered a while back how to hide things like that.

A long sigh could be heard coming from her. It didn't matter which way she looked at it, either way, the whole prophecy thing looked bad. In one scenario, she'd kill her people, in the other, she herself would be killed.

Realising how close to death her father was, she looked him straight in the eye, showing him the turmoil happening within her.

"I will do as you ask and keep Eseen safe both from herself and from others as long as I am able to"

She promised him.

"Will you give me the coordinates to my home planet so I can see for myself how much the fulfilment of the prophecy means to them"

She asked him, knowing full well that if she showed up on that planet, she'd most likely not leave it alife. She had to know what it was she was denying them first hand though, had to find out for herself if the sacrifice asked of her would be worth it.
e-mail Reply: 11 - 35
Dacian Ne Niero
Posted on: September 22nd, 2006, 10:10:04 Quote Report to Moderator
Guest User
"Her life is very important, as is everyone elses. Do not forget that Dhana, do not forget that there is no value on any life." Dacian smiled and closed his eyes, a sensation of floating overcoming him. He reached out his hand and held Dhana's own with it weakly. "I want you to do this, not because I said so, but because you understand the full extent of what is happening. I want you to be able to make your own choice, I can only hope it is the right one."

Suddenly, he inhaled sharply. His lungs were giving out and he could feel his heartbeat already slowing down. This was his last moment, his last chance for anything. After taking a few deep breaths, trying to calm himself down from going into shock and contemplating what his last words would be, he spoke again.

"All the information you seek, short of meeting your own race is on my desk." He opened his eyes one last time and raised his hand to her face, running a thumb down her cheek lightly. "Goodbye, Dhana... You've made a father proud... I'll always love you..."

At the last word, his arm went limp and fell to the floor while his head tilted to the side. A final, drawn out exhale signified his last moment as he passed on.
e-mail Reply: 12 - 35
Dhana NeNiero
Posted on: September 22nd, 2006, 21:38:15 Quote Report to Moderator
Guest User
"Father!"

She sounded alarmed when he inhaled sharply, knowing his time was drawing close. While she could have done somethin to keep him alive longer than he would be, she also respected his wish to not be around, and as much as it hurt, told him she loved him with tears in her eyes as he passed away.

She sat by his side a little longer, crying uncontrollably. While she had not been terribly close to her father he was the last remaining family she had and without him, this world seemed too big for her, her responsibilities to it too large to carry by herself.

5 minutes later, she tore through the corridor, back towards where Eseen was waiting, and threw herself at the fixer, crying uncontrollably, her fathers desk temporarily forgotten about.
e-mail Reply: 13 - 35
Eseen Hawkins
Posted on: September 22nd, 2006, 22:17:27 Quote Report to Moderator
Favourite

Eseen nodded at the man, keeping an eye of suspision on him right up until the point they both disappeared into the basement. She let out a sigh and took out her Desert Eagle to fiddle around with while she leaned back against the door frame of the room. She knew the guy didn't look to well from when she first saw him and let her mind wander about what was going on down there.

She figured Dhana, not really knowing where her power came from or her origins, was some kind of priestess. She'd encountered many religions, including some where the servants would give someone their last rites in a private way. This kind of practice had never sit well with her, and she figured whatever Dhana was doing was no different.

"Pfft, there go my chances..." She blurted out to noone in particular without thinking. Her face turned a shade of red when she realised where exactly she let her thoughts wander. "...Whatever..."

The embarresment was short lived however, interrupted by Dhana bailing out of the basement and right into her. She blinked for a moment, unsure of what was going on and completely bewildered by this girl clinging to her. Awkwardly, she raised her arms and wrapped them around her, looking down with a look of uncertainty splashed across her face.

"Uhmm... Huh?"
Private Message Reply: 14 - 35
Dhana NeNiero
Posted on: September 22nd, 2006, 22:39:39 Quote Report to Moderator
Guest User
"He died"

She sobbed, into Eseen's shoulder, not realising that Eseen didn't have her knowledge of who it was that died, or how important the conversation she had had with her father was just before he had passed away.

e-mail Reply: 15 - 35
Eseen Hawkins
Posted on: December 16th, 2006, 13:07:24 Quote Report to Moderator
Favourite

"Hey..." Eseen whispered gently, she placed her hands on Dhana's shoulders while a feeling of warmth washed over her. It wasn't just warmth though, it was something different, subtle enough to ignore but strange enough to note. She pushed Dhana back slightly as she tried to mentally shake off the feeling to look her eye to eye.

Dhana would see the slightest glow eminate from Eseen's skin and her normally grey eyes now had a hint of gold tinge to them. She gave off a smile, unaware of this minascule change to her form, feeling the urge to comfort this woman in front of her in whatever way was needed.

"It's okay, I'm here for you." She almost face vaulted at the words that slipped out of her mouth, feeling as if she had been taken over by some kind of force. There was no way she would have said anything like that in a million years. The words were coming naturally and it was rather disconcerning, yet it didn't show physically.

"Let it all out..." The Fixer assured Dhana while she brought her close again, wrapping her arms around. Dhana would also notice something that Eseen wouldn't, the extra appendages wrapping themselves around her like a blanket of some sort. Only those with a strong inclination to things would see the faintest outline of a pair of wings doing this, protruding from Eseen's shoulders.
Private Message Reply: 16 - 35
Dhana NeNiero
Posted on: December 16th, 2006, 20:04:09 Quote Report to Moderator
Guest User
Teary eyes looked back at Eseen as Eseen pushed her back to look at her. Curiously enough, there was something about Eseen that seemed different, but she let it slide, putting it down to the fact she was looking at Eseen through tearfilled eyes.

There it was again, maybe her father had been right and Eseen was the one that needed protection?

Another wave of sadness swept over her as Eseen assured her that she'd be there for her and as Eseen hugged her, she got the distinct feeling that her father knew far more than he had been able to share with her.

"Thanks"

She sobbed, grieving for her dead father for a few minutes more before pulling herself together. As she did so, she raised her head from Eseen's shoulder noticing the wings that Eseen seemed to have sprouted. This time, curiousity showed in her eyes, something which would most likely be noticed by Eseen.
e-mail Reply: 17 - 35
Eseen Hawkins
Posted on: December 16th, 2006, 21:59:26 Quote Report to Moderator
Favourite

Eseen returned the look, her own curiosity shining through coupled with confusion of what was running through Dhana's mind. Her arm raised to Dhana's face and let her thumb wipe a tear away below one of her eyes. She tilted her head slightly, letting her own thoughts wander to the possibilities before her face turned the lighted shade of red and broke eye contact.

A thump at the door snapped her out of it and she dropped her hand to her gun, grasping it tightly. This action caused the subtle glow around her to fade while the wings, which still seemed to be wrapped around Dhana seemed to shatter into a sort of glitter, disappating before reaching the floor. Once again, eye contact was made with Dhana before Eseen turned to give an order and investigate, allowing her to see the golden tinge in her eyes fade back to a cold silver.

"Stay out of range of the door, I doubt we were expecting company." She ordered coldly, completely ignorant of the changes which had occured to her.
Private Message Reply: 18 - 35
Dhana NeNiero
Posted on: December 16th, 2006, 23:25:36 Quote Report to Moderator
Guest User
She smiled at Eseen as she went slightly red, unaware that smiling at her would embarrass her even further. Her father had, no doubt, been right and she needed to look after Eseen.

She jumped at the sound from the door, not expecting anyone else to show up that night before noticing the wings dissapear into silver sparkles which seemed to fall to the ground, distracting her from seeing Eseen reach for her gun, thus, for once, Eseen got no complaint about the use of weapons or possible violence from Eseen.

"Ok"

She replied to Eseen, moving further down the corridor out of the way. Whoever this was, she was almost certain they were not friendly. She just hoped that they weren't the violent type and that Eseen would not be harmed if they were.
e-mail Reply: 19 - 35
Pages: 1, 2 » : All Reply Recommend Print

New Thread New Poll Shukumei    The Limelight District   [ previous | next ] Switch to:

Quick Reply

Forum Rules